Monday 27 January 2020

MY FIRST YEAR STUDENT EXPERIENCE

MY FIRST YEAR STUDENT EXPERIENCE



Nokwanda Ncwane


Growing up, I'd always hear unpleasant stories about students in general, more especially those who lived in student residences. I know quite a number of people in my community who went to institutions of higher learning and lived in places far away from home. They all have something in common, they didn't come back home with diplomas/degrees however, they returned with babies. Yes, they would fall pregnant in their first or second year of studies and will eventually drop out in order to raise the babies. So, to me institutions of higher learning and student residences were this evil monster that corrupted our brothers and sisters as soon as they were not under the guidance of  their parents.

Having applied to study in one of the universities in Durban and to live in a student residence, I feared I would succumb to the pressure as well. Start drinking, be a regular in clubs and parties, start having unprotected sex with multiple partners for the sake of benefits and be friends with people that are a bad influence. These are things I thought a typical student does. Those were all my fears.

When our academic year began and I slowly got used to the idea of living in a student residence. I realised that the stories I'd heard growing up were based on people who abused their freedom, who somehow failed to learn from other people's mistakes and failed to prioritize.

So, here are a few things that helped me survive my first year.

1. PUT GOD (OR WHOEVER YOU BELIEVE IN) FIRST
In everything that you do, put God first. Pray everyday, when you wake up in the morning, before you go to campus, when you do your assignments. Go to church and join religious student bodies in your campus or residence.

2. FOCUS
I found that If you're focused on your goal ( which is to graduate in record time) and you constantly remind yourself of the reasons why you enrolled in the first place, chances of you slacking or getting derailed are less. Attend classes, work hard, start working on your assignments early and respect deadlines.

3. CHOOSE YOUR FRIENDS WISELY
Being an introvert and a loner, one of the goals I had in the past year was to make friends and to learn to co-exist. I found myself being part of a group of six friends.

Some of them didn't attend classes, did not do their classwork and homework, they would do assignments on the eve of the submission date, they always made me feel guilty for spending most of my time at the library and would call me a nerd. I almost thought there's something wrong with me for being studious. I feared that if I walk out of the group I'd have failed to achieve my goal and I didn't want to go back to being a loner and socially awkward. Eventually, towards the end of the first semester, I changed my friends. I attracted the right ones for me, who were studious just like me.  

I realised that most of the time, the people you associate with and the environment you're exposed to have a very big influence on you as an individual. 

Be friends with people that are good for your soul, people that will empower you and encourage you to do better. Choose friends that you share the same values with, people that are honest enough to tell you the truth even when you don't want to hear it. Most importantly be friends with people who are doing better than you so that you can learn from them.

4. BUDGET
It's important to learn to manage your money. Draw up a budget a few weeks before you get your allowance (as most students are funded by NSFAS). When drawing up your budget, start with the basic needs (such as toiletries and food) then you can include other things like airtime, entertainment and clothing items. Always make sure you never spend your allowance the same day you get it.

From the +R1400 monthly allowance most students get, you can actually save a minimum of R200 or the +R400 per month. Depending on your needs, how you spend and what you spend on.

If you start this year, you can actually fix the amount you choose to save for 36 months (the 3 years you'll spend in university). It will come in handy when you're preparing for your graduation and when you're job hunting.

5. ABC (ABSTAIN, BE FAITHFUL AND CONDOMISE)
You're done with high school, you're away from home, you feel like an adult and you think it's finally time to lose your virginity. Before engaging in sexual activities be sure that you are ready and mature enough to deal with the consequences.

If you already have a partner and he/she feels that you can start having sex now, I advise you both to visit the clinic on campus. Seek counselling,test for HIV/AIDS and take other tests for all sexually related infections and diseases. Also find out what contraception methods are there and which one will be suitable for you. Then from there, you can decide if you want to go ahead and do the deed.

For those that are already sexually active, this might sound cliché but please have protected sex, use contraceptives and refrain from having many sexual partners because this increases your chances of contracting HIV and STI's. 

6. HAVE EXTRA MURAL ACTIVITIES
Do something that falls outside the realm of the normal curriculum of college or university education. Join the athletics, play football, soccer, hockey, do aerobics and rock climbing. This will help you lead a healthy life, contribute to physical fitness, reduce stress and help you relax. Sport builds self-discipline and helps us to adhere to social rules for the common good.

7. HAVE A COPING MECHANISM
When the going gets tough and you feel that everything is becoming too much, make use of the student counselling facility in your institution of higher learning.

Find something that will help take your mind off whatever it is that is stressing you. Just make sure it's safe, legal and won't cause you to lack on your academics.

8. DATE WHEN YOU'RE READY
Don't date because you feel lonely, you want to impress your friends or you want to prove a point to somebody. Date because you are ready and you want to. There's also no harm done if you're not romantically involved. You're not obligated to have a relationship and to start having sex on your first year of studies.

However, when you do decide to start dating refrain from having relationships with married and older men for the sake of owning material things. Be mindful that every decision you make today has an impact on your future. Whether it adds value in your life or takes you 10 steps backwards, it's up to you to decide. Life has no manual. Do what feels right and also take into consideration the consequences of every decision you make and how it will affect you and your loved ones.



I hope my experience helps you adapt, cope and make the best of your first year in university. Don't forget to have fun and be responsible.


5 comments:

Coronavirus Forces Some of Media 24's Publications To Permanently Close Shop Media24 has announced the closure of 5 of its Magazines ...